Change of name in Birth Certificate

Change of name, nrihelpinfo

A birth certificate is one of the essential documents that a person needs to process to prove or give a proof of his citizenship, age and identity. It is also required in the process of obtaining a passport, licenses etc. Many times, a person requires to make certain corrections or changes in the Birth certificate. Change of Name usually refers to the legal act by an individual of adopting a new name which is different from their name at birth, marriage or adoption. The process of making such corrections and changes varies from state to state, but in general, it is similar for all the states.

The guidelines for making such changes are:

Changing the name of a child below the one year: The process may somewhat differ from country to country but in order to bring such name change one can take the original hard copy of birth certificate to the record office in the city where the child was born and then fill out a new form to make this change.

Change of name for adults or older child:  The procedure for changing the name in case of adults is as follows:

First, the person who wants to change his name has to visit a Notary Public and get an affidavit made about a change of name. The reason behind the need to change the name has to be mentioned specifically. The affidavit can be used for changing the first name or last name or the complete name.

In case the person is working with Central Government, they may submit a deed for the change of name as per the guidelines of the Ministry of Home Affairs. An intimation notice of the same has to be given to the head of the department where the person is working.

In case of an Indian living overseas, he/she will submit deed duly attested by the appropriate Indian Embassy or Indian High Commission, in original to this Department.

Those NRI candidates who seeking to change first name or surname or both, are needed to place advertisements in a leading newspaper of the place of residence in the country they live in and also in a notable daily newspaper of area of permanent address in India. Original clippings of these adds along with a sworn affidavit in the prescribed format are required to be furnished with the application.

Then the person requires to make it published in two local leading newspapers. The advertisement should specify that one is changing his/her name, including an old and new name, mention the father’s name/husband’s name and address. One must keep a copy of the original advertisement as it appears in the newspaper when it is advertised. It may be prudent to keep some original copies.

In the last step, get your change of name published in the Gazette of India.

Comments 0

Your email address will not be published.

Change of name in Birth Certificate

log in


reset password

Back to
log in

Subscribe For Latest Update