Conversion of PIO card into OCI card
OCI Card is a multiple entry lifelong visa which allows the holder to have unlimited travel and stay in India.
- Multiple entries, multi-purpose lifelong visa for the purpose of visiting India.
- Exemption from registration with the local police executives for any length of stay in India.
Eligibility criteria for OCI Registration
A foreign national, who
- Was a citizen of India on or at any time after 26.01.1950, or
- Was eligible to become a native of India on 26.01.1950, or
- Belonged to a territory that became a member of India after 15.08.1947
- And his / her children as well as grandchildren, are eligible for the registration as an Overseas Citizens of India (OCI), provided his / her nation of citizenship allows dual citizenship in some form or another under the local laws.
- The minor children of such individuals are also eligible for OCI.
- A person, who is a minor child, and whose both parents are citizens of India or either one of the parents is a citizen of India;
- spouse of foreign origin of an overseas citizen of India cardholder or spouse of foreign origin of a citizen of India registered under section 7A and whose wedding has been registered and subsisted for a consecutive period of not less than 2 years immediately preceding the presentation of the application as per this section:
Provided that for the eligibility for registration as an Overseas Citizen of India cardholder, such spouse shall be ruled to prior security clearance from a competent authority in India.
Note: No any individual, who or either of whose parents or grandparents or great-grandparents is or had been a citizen of Bangladesh, Pakistan or such other country as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, mention, shall be eligible for registration as an Overseas Citizen of India Cardholder.
Conversion of PIO card into OCI card & Reissue of OCI card:
The conversion of PIO cards into OCI cards can be done. OCI-Registration (In Lieu of PIO-Card) is an online process. OCI Applicants who are having valid PIO-cards may apply here
In cases of former PIO card holders, the new foreign passport number (when they acquire a new passport) will proceed to be endorsed on the existing PIO card till an individual concerned is issued an OCI card instead of the PIO card.
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO OCI CARD HOLDERS
OCI cardholders traveling to India are advised to carry the Passport containing U Visa sticker and OCI Card to avoid problems at Immigration checkpoints in India. In the case registered OCI has obtained a new passport, kindly ensure to carry the passport containing U Visa sticker, new passport, and OCI document during all visits to India.
ALTERNATIVELY, Miscellaneous Services can be availed for transfer of U Visa sticker to the new passport. However, before applying for Misc Services kindly read the instructions posted under OCI Misc Service particularly the processing period. Since applications are processed in the order of their receipt in the Consulate, this service cannot be expedited. New OCI Registration can be done online.