How to file a Complaint in Consumer Court in India?

file a Complaint in Consumer Court, nrihelpinfo

These days we notice that consumers are cheated and harassed in several ways so it’s necessary to follow the legal way to file a complaint in consumer court. Most of the times people are rendered with the inferior quality of goods, at times with less quantity than demanded whereas at other times the consumer is charged with excess prices than otherwise fixed for the commodity.

Project delays, property frauds, default on an agreement – a property buyer would go for one of these things if he somehow ends up purchasing a property with a wrong developer. The long trials in courts would only add insult to injury. Hence, to make things simpler, consumer courts have started accepting those real estate cases where the purchased good and services are even less than Rs 1 crore.

Steps to follow to file a Complaint in Consumer Court?

Step 1

Send a notice to the construction company or developer, before filing a formal complaint. It is essential for the consumer to give notice to the opposite party about the deficiency in service or unfair practice. This is to understand if the other party is willing to offer the compensation against the loss suffered by the consumer. If the developer neglects or refuses the notice, you can approach the consumer court or file a Complaint in Consumer Court in India.

Step 2:

Submit a legal complaint under the Consumer Protection Act, 1986. Fill this complaint form then submit it to the commission. On a plain paper, specify the details of the complainant and the opposite party. Moreover, you can consult consumer grievance redressal forums which also assist consumers in filing and forming petition at nominal prices. One such non-governmental organisation is International Consumer Rights Protection Council(ICRPC).

The buyer should file a Complaint in Consumer Court which has under its jurisdiction the other party’s office of profit or residence or the area where the project is located.

Step 3

You have to submit the fee by a demand draft. The consumer forum follows difference jurisdiction to consider complaint:

  • If the consumer claim is for less than Rs 20 lakh, then the District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum will hear the plea.
  • If the consumer claim is for more than Rs 20 lakh but less than Rs 1 crore, the State Consumer Dispute Redressal Commission will consider the complaint.
  • Moreover, If the claim is more than Rs 1 crore, the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission will attend to the plea.

A consumer needs to be more aware of the malpractices followed by the developer and should stand up for their rights. We suggest consumers take legal advice from an experienced lawyer before filing a Complaint in Consumer Court and taking action against the unscrupulous traders who think that consumers can do nothing if any wrong is caused to them.

Comments 0

Your email address will not be published.

How to file a Complaint in Consumer Court in India?

log in


reset password

Back to
log in

Subscribe For Latest Update