Getting a PAN CARD from abroad is an easy process that can be done online. Please remark that PAN card mailing overseas is allowed to some nations. NRIs requiring to apply for a PAN CARD from abroad can check the list of countries given here.
There are 2 types of PAN application forms. One for Indian citizens and the second for foreign citizens. When applying for a PAN card online, kindly select the form that applies to you.
- Form 49A is for Indian citizens.
- Form 49AA is for Overseas citizens.
Those individuals who hold Indian citizenship, even if they are settled abroad should use the form applicable to Indian citizens. [Form 49A]. However, those who hold foreign citizenship, such as OCI holders, Persons of Indian Origin(PIO) who have acquired foreign nationality or foreigners who are not of Indian origin should all use Form 49AA.
For simplification, Form 49AA is not for NRI candidates but for Foreign citizens.
What you need to get pan card online.
- A document that has your abroad address on it. The best document to use is your bank statement showing your overseas address.
- Copy of passport
- The fee for preparing PAN application is 944.00
((Application fee 85.00 + Dispatch Charges 771.00) + 10.3% service tax)
Remember: NRIs cannot pay with a credit card from abroad.
NRI online applications for a Permanent Account Number (PAN)
How to apply for PAN card online
Step by step guide for getting PAN CARD from abroad.
- Log in to the online PAN CARD website: https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/form49AA.html
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page where you see: Apply for a new PAN Card and select individual from the drop-down menu bar.
- Application for Pan Card Form49A will open.
- Fill in the form. Read instructions on filling form and Guidance on filling the form if you wish. When filling in the address make sure it is the same abroad address that is presented in your bank statement.
- Do not fill an Indian address on the form.
- Once the form is filled, analyse it to ensure everything is accurately filled and click submit button.
- An acknowledgement would look on the screen if a form were submitted precisely.
- Print out at least two copies of the acknowledgement. (One photocopy is for your record).
- Paste your photograph on one of the printouts of confirmation and sign in black ink.
- Sign on all pages of the photocopies of your passport as well as your bank statement. (Black pages of passport are not mandatory to be copied)
- Mail all documents to NSDL, PAN unit.
- You can trace the status of your application by using your confirmation or acknowledgement number.
PAN Card Fee Information
- Cheque and Demand draft should be drawn in favour of ‘NSDL – PAN’.
- Foreign credit cards are presently not accepted.
- Where to mail completed form, verifying documents, bank draft mail to NSDL at Income Tax PAN Services Unit, National Securities Depository Limited,
5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341,
Survey No. 997 /8, Model Colony,
Near Deep Bungalow Chowk,
Pune – 411 016.
- Mail your all documents as soon as possible after completing the online application;
- Your mailed documents should reach NSDL within 15 days from the date of online application.
Read more: Link your aadhaar card with pan card