A person needs an international driving license to drive in most countries across the world. In India, driving license is issued at the many regional transport offices spread across the country. It is an absolutely hassle-free process, which takes less than 24 hours to complete later, you can drive a car or vehicle on the streets of possibly any country.
Eligibility to achieve an international driving license in India:
- The applicant must be an Indian citizen.
- The candidate must hold a valid driving license in India.
- The candidate must be aiming to travel abroad and owns valid tickets and visas to the proposed country.
List of documents required while applying for an international driving license in India:
For an international driving license in India, you have to get form 4-A and after filling, submit it to your nearest Regional Transport Office.
The following is a list of compulsory forms prescribed by the Indian Government to favourably apply for an international driving license in India:
(a) An application for concern of I.D.P., Form- 4A
(b) A copy of an original driving license
(c) A valid proof of visa, wherever applicable
(d) A genuine medical certificate in Form – 4A
(e) A valid proof of passport
(f) Four copies of a current passport size photograph
(g) Prescribed fees (which currently is Rs 1000)
In addition to all these, you may also require to show your booked flight ticket against which your visa was given.
- Take the prescribed form of application for the international driving permit from your nearby RTO/RTA (Regional Transport Office/ Regional Transport Agent).
- Submit the Form- 4A with the aforementioned documents.
- Make sure to carry various copies of the documents to save you any problem just in case.
Total Time is taken to process the application ranges from 1 to 3 days from the date of submission of the application. If you manage to arrive the office well in time before 3 pm (the closing time), then most departments will issue the international driving license on the same day.
Acceptable in a huge total of 130 countries, including maximum European countries, USA, Commonwealth nations, and others. The international driving license is valid for a duration of 12 months.
Here’s an entire list of countries where an international driving license is valid. In a situation, your original driving license expires before the international license; then it is deemed as invalid. There is no any procedure for an extension or renewal of an international driving license.
Your international driving permit will display the name of your origin country and the country you are travelling together with the visa number issued to you. Make sure you are carrying your valid passport, existing driving license and the international driving license while driving outside India. However, if you plan to stay beyond the expiry of your international driving license, then apply for a proper driving license in the concerned country.
There are a number of countries that allow you to realise your Bollywood dream without receiving an international driving license. These are the countries that would enable you to drive without one!
- United States of America (USA)
- United Kingdom
- New Zealand
- South Africa
Moreover, one should be aware of the validity of your country’s driving license in the country you’re travelling to as the expiry period varies from 6 to 12 months depending on the country. After this, you are supposed to apply for an international driving license or the license of the particular country.
Other Key Points to Remember for An International Driver’s License
– An international license is an essential document. Please keep it carefully just like how you keep your passport.
– In case, if you lose your international driver’s license, kindly report it to the Indian embassy if you’re in abroad. Moreover, inform the local enforcing authorities of the country you’re in.
– If you lose your international drivers permit locally, you will have to file an FIR at your local police station.
– You will not be qualified to get an international driving license unless you have a valid visa of the country/territory you’re visiting.