name change,, nri help

Changing original birth name is very common in India. Whatever the reason might be, the procedure under the law is the same. The only likely condition for eligibility of name change is that the applicant required to be at least 18 years of age or above to change their own name.

When to Use Affidavit for Name Change or Change of Name?

Reasons behind changing name can be several such as personal preference, change of religion, marriage (women), alteration or modification of name due to numerological advice etc. A name change can also mean an addition of a word to the existing name, correction of spelling, change of surname etc. Before you decide on getting a name change, consider all pros and cons of doing so.

How to create an affidavit for Name Change?

  • The change of name is more or less a three-step process that can be completed in little time if followed judiciously.
  • The prime and most important step in the process is the preparation of the affidavit.
  • Firstly, you require to make an affidavit and attest from a Notary or a Magistrate. All you have to do is use the simple navigation form and complete the affidavit and fill in your details like previous or maiden name, the purpose of a change of name, address, age, etc.
  • Moreover, you will require to print this on a non-judicial stamp paper and Legal Paper (Plain Paper) of stipulated value.

How to make an affidavit Legally Enforceable and Valid?

  • It may be tough to get an appointment from a magistrate; therefore, you can address a Notary signature, which is equivalently valid.
  • You need to print the content on a stamp paper of the required value (the Notary will inform you) and get it sealed through a Notary.
  • Central Govt. employees can submit deed for a change of name under the Ministry of Home Affairs OM No. 190016/1/87-Estt, dated 12.03.1987.
  • In case, a person living overseas he/she shall submit deed duly attested by the respective Indian Embassy or Indian High Commission.
  • This is the very important phase in the process of changing the name. Once the affidavit has been notarized, your task is almost done.

Publication in Newspapers

Afterwards, the affidavit is notarized, the next step requires you to publish the change of name in two local newspapers immediately.

  • One classified should be in daily publishing news in a local official language of the State.
  • The second detailed should be published in a local English Newspaper.

You can reach the newspaper office directly in this regard. They usually have an exclusive section dedicated to change of name advertisements and can advise you on the format.

Tip: Since most of the newspaper organisations have multilingual publications in the same State, ask for a package (for classifieds or ads in English as well as State language) that will assist you to save money and time.

Publication in The State Gazette

In few States, you can make the name change published in the official State Gazette. This is not a sanctioned requirement in some States. For instance, the gazette publication for a name change is just applicable to State Govt. employees.

You can approach the Govt. press in your State, the controller of publication and get details on the procedure. You may be needed to produce some essential documents along with the original affidavit to have the detailed information published in the next Gazette issue. Moreover, Central Govt. employees can also get in touch or contact with their HR departmental for more guidance.

  • Speak to them on the telephone line to determine the documents required. You can also think to visit them.
  • Generally, you will need to present a copy of the affidavit, copies of newspaper classifieds published, address and id proofs, passport photographs & the appropriate fee.
  • According to the timelines, you will be notified regarding the name change publication in the Gazette along with a photocopy of the Gazette for reference.

Gazette Publication is compulsory for government employees and optional for others. In addition to it, if you want to update your records in banks, brokerages and govt records, they might require you for a copy of the Gazette.


Apply for the name change with several banking institutions, Govt. Agencies (like voters id, passport, PAN card) for a change of name. You may be needed to fill a separate dedicated form along with presenting the affidavit, newspaper copies supporting a name change. As sooner as you update your name with these authorisations, it’s better for your future.

Comments 0

Your email address will not be published.


log in


reset password

Back to
log in

Subscribe For Latest Update