NRI Marriages are in vogue these days. NRI marriage is a wedding between an Indian citizen to another individual who may or may not from Indian origin but who is dwelling outside India.
Most of the times the couple in NRI marriages do not get sufficient time to spend with each other because the person who is not residing in India has insufficient time, and hence these marriages are performed in a hurry.
The parents of the girl’s family are also happy with the presumption that their daughter will get a good exposure outside India. Trying to find compatibility with the husband and wife becomes very difficult in the short span that is available.
It is at such times when the groom returns back to his nation, and the girl is left behind to complete procedures as well as paperwork of getting a visa. Or sometimes she goes there and comes across difficulties which she is unable to cope on her own.
Her legal status changes, language can be an obstacle, she is not economically independent and hence vulnerable, etc. The matter is that she does not have the family support which is easily available in India aggravates the situation for her.
In many matters of rights of women in NRI marriages, the woman is ignorant of her rights and legal status. Moreover, she does not have access to the law and judicial systems due to the lack of information or lack of economic means.
If she decides to return back to India, there are high chances that the husband may begin legal processes against her and she may not get a favourable opportunity of defending herself. Thus, she loses her rights resulting in many losses for her.
If she comes back to India, she is confused on what legal remedies she can avail particularly since both of them are now in different nations. Can the orders given by the Indian Courts be executed against a person who is not residing in India? In some nations, there are laws of parental abduction which puts a lot of stress on the mother who may not be capable of taking the custody of the child legally even as it is hard to stay in the same country as her spouse.
Thus, it is advised to take immediate assistance from lawyers to be able to handle the situation aptly.
Following are some Precautionary Steps to be taken as a Rights of women in NRI marriages
- Find out details about the person’s job, wages in the foreign nation. Beside this, try to find out his marital status through your network or relatives, friends, local Indian Associations etc. A background check can assist in ensuring the details that have been provided to you are true and correct.
- Register the wedding that is performed in India, since it is in the interest of both bride and groom.
- Keep adequate proof such as photographs, wedding invitation, identify proof of both bride and grooms etc.
- Keep contact details of neighbours, relatives, friends, employer, police and Indian embassy and High Commission always.
- Keep photocopies of crucial documents like passport, bank, visa, marriage certificate, property documents with trustworthy people in India or overseas. It will assist if your documents are forcefully kept away from you or are destroyed.
- Try to preserve a list of NGOs who can assist you.
- Contacts of experienced lawyers providing legal guidance to know your rights and the action that you can take.